Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Haiti.. Here I come!

I can't believe I am really doing this... traveling to Haiti with giant spiders, interesting creatures, and thousands of mosquitoes!  Yikes!!  This is definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  Tomorrow my parents are dropping me off at school to travel with 8 students and 8 staff members of my former school to travel to Chambrun, Haiti.  My boys will be along to say good-bye.  I have never left my boys for more than four days, and this will prove to be a challenge in many different aspects.  It will be even harder knowing I can't have any communication with them other than email.  We are leaving the school at 11:00 a.m. and will travel to Detroit, MI to catch a plane at 7:35.  Once leaving Detroit, we will have an overnight layover at the Ft. Lauderdale airport.  I have never spent the night in an airport... could prove to be interesting.  Nevertheless, it will be filled with laughter, stories, and sleepless hours! ha!  (Thank goodness for cards, ipods, and my nook!)  If you have any good books I should download, let me know!  We are set to arrive at the Port a Prince Saturday morning around 8 a.m.  I believe from there  we will have a good, joyful, HOT, bumpy, curvy bus ride to campus at Nehemiah Vision Ministries (NVM)!  I have seen pictures of where we are staying, and I must say it isn't that bad!  We will be in a dorm with bunk beds that is blessed with air condition! woo hooo!  It is also fogged every night for the pesty disease filled mosquitoes!  We are also provided with clean running water throughout the facility!  There is a bath house with nice showers, toilets, and sinks with air condition too!  Sounds rather cushy compared to some mission trips! : )  I do not know exactly what awaits us or our itinerary once we are there, but I know God will oversee it for His plan!  I take my first malaria pill tomorrow morning.. on travel day.  I pray that I tolerate it well, and it doesn't upset my tummy!  I will update my blog as much as I can while there! (with lots of pictures) Be sure to stay posted to facebook as well!  I will be able to get on that almost every single night!  I have posted a link that will lead you to NVM website.  It will have an updated blog from our team as often as possible, and you can take a look at some of the photos of campus.  I am also following a few new blogs from families and staff at NVM.  Check them out! They are very interesting and have LOTS of pictures with great stories!  You can also follow our trip on facebook by looking for dots in blue water.  Thank you to all of you who have supported me with funds and/or prayers!  It is very appreciative! 
http://blog.nehemiahvisionministries.org/default.aspx


My boys have been giving me extra kisses, hugs, and cuddles!! Loving it!!  They haven't wanted to leave my side much this week.  It is so sweet, and it makes me feel loved!  I am one special mom!  My youngest one even made me a heart flower to take with me!  So precious! 

2 comments:

  1. Praying for all of you right now! How exciting--I'd love to be going too. Blessings to all of you travelers, and blessings to the Haitians you'll meet. I'll be checking in... jenk

    ReplyDelete