Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Haiti Day 1

I have been in Haiti since Saturday morning and have already had many things impact me. When we landed at the airport we were greeted with Haitian music and loaded onto a shuttle to take us to the baggage claim. It was similar to a warehouse and was extremely busy. It was a bit chaotic, and they only had two concertos belts toput the luggage on. Thankfully their were only two planes that landed during that time. There can be up to four at one time making it even worse. I can't imagine. Going through customs was rarer easy too. I was quite surprised After gathering our checked bags we made our way outside and were lead to a tap tap. A tap tap is a box truck. However the back isn't a box, it is framed with a cage and has benches on each side. We took the tap tap to the campus on NVM. It was an extremely interesting ride. I don't think there are too many road rules in Haiti! It was a bumpy and rough ride as the roads aren't great. The part that was difficult to take in was all the devastation surrounding Haiti. Everywhere you looked were thousands of tents. These tents were not nice tents that we would go camping in. They were pieced together with whatever materials they could find. It was heartbreaking. There was tons of trash piled high everywhere. You could smell the sewage building up from not being properly disposed. I can't even begin to describe the living situation here. We are so blessed in our country and have much to be thankful for. I will upload photos when I get home.

Upon arriving at campus we were blessed with much needed relaxing after a long two days of traveling. We are staying on a very nice campus with air conditioned dorms and bath houses. We have clean running water and good food. After lunch, we walked a half mile to a village called chambrun. In chambray we visited an orphanage. The kids were so joyful and loving. These children didn't care that they had very little. All they wanted was to play. We enjoyed a game of soccer, tag, and lots of laughs. They also LOVE photos! They like heir picture taken and enjoy taking pictures too. I am anxious to spend more time with these kids.

I have already learned so much from being here. Too many times we get caught up in things we have or don't have. I have enough. My basic needs are met each day I have a house a nice house, clean water, and plenty of food. I need to be joyful like the Haitian children. if anyone should complain or be bitter towards life, it should be these people..... But they choose to be happy.

I am using my iPod to blog and have a hard time editing for spelling and grammar. So please accept my apology for any you find!

Check out dots in blue water for more info from the team and our trip. Two teachers and two students will write a blog a day on their faceook page.... Dots in blue water.

1 comment:

  1. Kristi, I am beaming as I read this!!! I'm so excited for you and the way He will use this experience to shape you and to reveal Himself to you!

    I remember tap taps from when I was there as a child. Are they painted with many colors and different scenes?? My brother brought a replica of one home with us.

    ReplyDelete