Search This Blog

Monday, June 20, 2011

Haiti Day 2

Haiti Day 2
Yesterday, was Sunday and our 2nd day in Haiti. We had the unique experience to attend church with the Haitians. What a joy it was to see how they worship God on Sunday mornings. Their church service is three hours long! These people know how to worship God with all their heart. They sing loudly with pride and love. They dance, move, and shout their praises to God. It moved my heart, and it made me realize how much these people truly have. They have what most American’s don’t… A true faith in God! A real faith! Back home at my church you will not find this type of service with hearts full of that true faith and love. Don’t get me wrong, our church is filled with people who love God and there are people in my church who are on fire for God. In order for you to truly understand where I am coming from, you must expierence it for yourself! I pray that one day God will lead you to that kind of expierence. It will warm your soul and make you realize what is important. As I sat there watching and listening to these people during church service, I realized that I need to be more like them. I need to stop worrying about the little things in life, and begin to truly live by faith! The Haitians have nothing. They don’t have food or clean water every single day. They don’t have a nice cozy house to shelter them. If anyone has the right to be bitter or angry, it is them. Instead they choose to be joyful and praise God for what they do have! As an American who is richly blessed, I have no right to complain about what I don’t have. I need to focus on what I do have and be thankful!
During service I sat behind a group of very joyful girls who made me smile. I loved watching them dance and sing! One girl, Yanni, kept looking at me and smiling. She was beautiful, and I loved interacting with her during the service. I even took her picture. Since service I have seen Yanni around campus. She continues to come to me and interact. Today I learned that beautiful in her language is unbella.. sp? She was also teaching me how to count and a few other words. I hope I see her the next couple of days here on campus! She is a joy! I would love to take her home!
I also had another adorable little girl latch onto me after service. She was quite little and very quiet. She was so adorable. She wanted to be held and hugged. She loved playing with my hair and putting her hands on my face. Her eyes were bright and her smile could light up a room. I wouldn’t mind taking her home too! A suitcase full of wiggles for the way home! LOL!
After church, we were given some free time. We played cards and had some fellowship. After our break, we went into the village of Chamburn to check out the wells the villagers use to get their water. They walk several miles sometimes to get water. The water they get is very dirty and makes them sick withh many diseases. We are going to work on installing a water purification system at the school on campus and one just outside of campus for the villagers to use. I am thankful I have the opportunity to help provide these people with clean water that could help improve their lives. I am looking forward to building and putting together the systems. While in the village, you could see the since of community the people had. They were all a family and would help any of their neighbors out. They were very friendly to us and welcomed us. Many times back at home we will walk right by someone we no without a polite hello. All through the dirt streets of Chambrun the villagers will greet you! The children will run to you to greet you as well. They will walk with you and hold your hands. They love trying to interact with us. I would love to be able to talk to them in their language! Keep posted for more!!!

1 comment: