Search This Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2012

What does serving God look like to you?

A very popular Bible verse hangs in the home of many followers of Christ.

“As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord” (Joshua 24:15).


Is this verse displayed somewhere in your home?  Have you ever really thought about what that means on a daily basis?  What does it look like?  How deep does your family live out that verse?  My dad and I had a recent conversation about what serving God looks like.  I use to think this meant helping out at church by checking in kids, teaching a Sunday school class, volunteering in the nursery,going across the world on a missions trip, and giving money to a ministry.  However, in the past few years, I have learned that serving God is SO MUCH MORE!! It is a lifestyle.  There are times I become so frustrated with the way people perceive serving God.  It is a difficult, deep, and a thought provoking question that I hope will encourage you to think and discuss with those you love. Pleas feel free to leave comments and discuss on my blog.  As Christians in American I feel that we often become too comfortable in our lives, and we are down right selfish!  We want to serve God and have Him utilize us for His work, BUT.... we want to do it our way and in our time! Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.   God doesn't want us to be comfortable.  It is in those times.....that we grow and live out our faith!  If we were always comfortable.....would we grow?  Would we seek out God?  Would we look for ways to serve Him? In my opinion... no.  When I look back on the past five years, there were many times I was uncomfortable and wanted my circumstances to change.  However, those uncomfortable times changed me.  They made me draw closer to God and have taught me a lot about what serving God looks like!!  I learned this by watching others who love and serve God!!!  It was in those moments that I began to shape my definition of what serving God looks like!  God wants us to die to self and provide in ways that we don't really feel like serving! He wants all of us...not just the parts we are COMFORTABLE to give Him.  Many times we may write a check to a particular ministry and chalk it up as.... done!  I've done my part!  (don't get me wrong...this is GREAT AND NEEDED)  However, I think God wants more out of us! He wants us to give up what is most precious to us.....(our TIME AND ENERGY)  He wants us to step outside of our box and be uncomfortable.  I also feel that many Christians are quick to step up and help with "world missions," but seem to have a difficult time stepping up to help those in need right in their own community.  (again...I THINK "WORLD MISSIONS" ARE GREAT AND NEEDED)  In fact, I have been on a missions trip, and God used that trip to teach me perspective!  He also taught me how to serve Him by watching the Haitians love on each other!  However, there are so many times I see a community member, church member, or neighbor in need and very few step up to take the TIME to help.  In America we have become so busy.  We feel like our lives need to be filled up with things to keep us busy.  Our kids may be involved in more than one extracurricular activity or perhaps we plan too many things to do that keep us busy that leave us lacking the "time" to help those in need.  Other times.... we are selfish with our time and don't want to GIVE OUR TIME to help out someone in need.  This leads me to what I believe serving God looks like.  I believe there are obviously many ways to serve God and there is NO right way...BUT I do believe it means to die to self and be ready to use your hands and feet in ANY way God asks us to do. Matthew 16:24 Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  We must not be stingy with our time and selfish with our time.  Serving God is a lifestyle!! It can be helping an elderly neighbor rake leaves, clean her gutters, or carry in her groceries.  It can be taking someone to the store who has no means of travel.  It can be helping someone move or providing a meal for someone.  Talking to that weird stranger in the store who HAS A LOT TO SAY and you can't seem to get away.  You never know....that person may be reaching out and lonely.  It can be as simple as walking across the street to say hello and check in on a single parent who may be lonely or have had a bad day.  The littlest thing can stretch miles in someones life!!  The way we act, the things we say, and how we help others....are all ways in which we live our our faith.  It.....................SPEAKS VOLUMES TO THOSE WHO ARE NOT CHRISTIANS.  Believe me....they WILL TAKE NOTICE!  Serving God doesn't mean being a good person, sitting in a pew on any given Sunday morning, and writing a check.  It is a daily sacrifice of giving and providing to those who are in need....dying to self and putting the cross before YOUR OWN NEEDS! By submerging ourselves in God's word and spending time in prayer....we begin to have a more intimate relationship with Jesus Christ.  As that relationship develops we will begin to to see multiple ways to serve God, allow the Holy Spirit to lead us, and be a witness to all every single day right here in our own backyard!!! Step out today and love on those right here as the Haitians were quick to love on each other!!!  While I am typing this and realize this....it is A DAILY BATTLE that I still struggle with!  I too have a difficult time giving of my time and energy!  I am a work in progress that God is continuing to develop!!  He is the potter.... I am the clay!! 


 

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  Matthew 16:24 

2 comments:

  1. Serving in the ways you mentioned first, like helping at church etc. Those are the easy ones. :O) It's obeying that still quiet voice every day, in every mundane moment that challenges me, because sometimes I just don't want to do what I'm asked. During those times of total surrender though are the times when I am blessed the most.

    Sometimes obeying means giving up a carreer that you think is your calling. Following him always has a cost. BUT The benefits in the end are worth it! I know you know that as personally as I do, my friend! I'm glad God brought us together in a little old middle school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great points, Kristi! Loved this post :)

    ReplyDelete